Thursday, July 4, 2013

Old Verses

I've decided to publish some of my old poetry.  This first one was when I was 16 years old, close to High School graduation. It is the kind of satirical verse I still love to write.  Wish I had my second semester college  comps, too; they were a stitch.

NO!...NO! … THERE IT IS AGAIN!
An Epic Tale by Susan M. (Schnitman) Hernandez
Dedicated to my dear Cousin Izzie Lubman (my mom's cousin): April 20, 1967

For a week I’d been waging a war,
And believe me – I was getting sore
Running and charging the enemy,
Smashing an elbow, banging my knee.

I opened the door a tiny crack,
Hoping, praying it hadn’t come back.
But there it was – that nasty FLY –
Trying to land right in my eye.

“No!...No!” I cried in vain,
For the dratted thing was back again!
I reached for my swatter, but oh! – too late:
The monster was diving for my pate!

Quickly I ducked under the nearest chair,
But before I knew it – IT was there!
Jumping up, I banged my head:
One of us will soon be dead!

In desperation I reached the kitchen
For by this time I was really itchin’
To finish with this fiendish foe:
I was going to end it all, by Joe!

It was going to work; I knew it – ZAP!!!
The bug was falling for my trap.
I inched my way to the refrigerator
And opened its jaws like an alligator.

There it lay on a silver plate,
Now all I’d have to do was wait.
The six-legged beast came sniffing ‘round
And leaped to its death with a single bound.

For on that plate was that wondrous oleo,
Poly-unsaturated all aglow.
Liquid yellow, flavor – mellow:
This was the trap for that dastardly fellow.

Thanks to the miracles of modern men
Once more I am free again,
Secure in the knowledge that I know:

Flies can’t swim in oleo.


*****************************************




No comments:

Post a Comment